What is pour over coffee?
Pour over coffee was invented in the early 1900’s but is still widely used by coffee lovers all over the world today. It involves pouring hot water over coffee grounds in a funnel that empties into either a carafe or your mug.
A lot of coffee lovers consider pour over coffee to be the best way to brew. With a longer brew time, the water is able to pull out more from the grounds and can extract more of the components that make coffee, coffee.
Types of pour over coffee makers:
There are 2 kinds of pour over coffee funnels. One is a solid glass, one piece that has the funnel and the carafe built together. The other is just a funnel that you can place on top of you mug. Either one works just fine but people often argue the one piece is better since it keeps the steam of the hot coffee contained.
There are also different kinds of materials that the pour overs are made from. From silicon, glass, to ceramic, there is something for every kind of coffee lover. Keep reading below to see what’s out there and find your perfect match!
How to use a pour over coffee maker:
What you need:
- Pour over coffee funnel or carafe
- Pour over coffee filters
- Hot water
- Set up your pour over coffee maker by inserting a pour over coffee filter in the funnel.
- Add your favorite coffee grounds. If you like your coffee strong, add about 2 tbsp for every 6 oz of water; if you like your coffee a little weaker, you can add about 1 tbsp – 1.5 tbsp for every 6 oz water.
- Boil your water either in the microwave or on the stove. You’ll want to boil a little extra than you intend to drink because the filter will absorb some of it and you won’t get it back
- Slowly pour the steaming hot water over the grounds focusing on the outer edges. Only pour a little at a time because the grounds will stick to the sides of the filter. As the coffee drains, pour a little more, again focusing on the outer edges to wash the grounds off the side of the filter.
Tips for best results:
With a pour over coffee maker, you are in control of every element: how many grounds you use, the temperature of the water, how quickly the water goes over the grounds.
- If you like your coffee strong, add about 2 tbsp for every 6 oz of water; if you like your coffee a little weaker, you can add about 1 tbsp – 1.5 tbsp for every 6 oz water.
- For better results, boil the water before you use it.
- You can always just pour all of your water over the grounds and wait for it to be done. This won’t give you the best results though. To make the best coffee using a pour over, follow step #4 above in “How to use a pour over coffee maker.”
A traditional coffee maker is more automatic and typically requires less attention, but you do not get to choose certain factors like where the water falls on the grounds, or at what speed the water hits the grounds. Little details like this make the pour over a widely loved way to create the perfect cup of coffee. So, take your time, brew a cup of pour over and see what everyone is loving about this!
The best pour over coffee makers:
Here are a few of our favorite pour overs. Check out what we think and see which one might be the best fit for you and the coffee-lover within.
- The Unbreakable Pour Over Coffee Maker is perfect because it has everything you need included. The included metal filter is reusable and means that you’ll never need to buy paper filters for it. This style of carafe means that you don’t need to brew into a mug. Simply brew into the carafe and then allocate into mugs for everyone to enjoy a sip! What is pour over coffee without friendship to share it with?
- Simply Charmed Pour Over is a great option because its heavy duty. The cone is ceramic which means that the water will stay as hot as possible while it is passing through the filter which means hotter, better tasting coffee at the end. This one comes with 40 disposable filters to get you started.
- The MISETTO Stainless Steel Coffee Maker is all steel and is practical for every day use. Our one complaint about it is that there is nothing to keep the coffee hot as you brew. What we love about it is that its super easy to clean and easy to store because you don’t have to worry about breakage.
- The GOLDTONE on-the-go drip coffee maker is great for someone who doesn’t know where they will be when they need a cup of coffee. It’s silicon and you don’t need to worry about breakage. It folds down to make it easier to pack in your backpack, briefcase, or even purse.
- This ceramic coffee drip is an awesome addition to every home’s coffee collection. It’s an old school design and is made of sturdy ceramic that is perfect for a top-notch brew that will be perfect every time. Because of the thick walls of the cone, your coffee will stay hot while it brews and will be perfect for when you’re ready to drink!
You can find so many different kinds of coffee drips out there. There are on-the-go drips, ceramic drips, drips connected to a carafe. You’ll be able to find something that will work for you! Drip coffee takes a little more commitment than hitting the button on your Keurig, but it will give you a better result every time. You can alter your results based on type how many coffee grinds you add, the temperature of the water at time of brewing, and even the drip maker that you buy.
What is pour over coffee? It’s one of our favorite ways to brew and we think you’ll agree, soon!